Miss Virginia Pate was the first graduate of the diploma program in 1906
The history of Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences begins in 1887 when All Saints Hospital opened a training school for nurses. When Saint Luke’s Hospital was declared legal successor of All Saints Hospital in 1903, they incorporated the nursing program as a department within the hospital. Three students enrolled under the direction of Miss Eleanor Keely.
There were many changes in the 1920s including the relocation of the hospital. A nurses' residence was also built at what was then Mill Creek and 44th Street. In 1946 a four-story building was built to accommodate classrooms, laboratories, a library, offices, and residence space for approximately 200 students. Then in 1972, the library was moved to the Helen F. Spencer Center for Education.
In 1987 the student residence was relocated to 4545 Washington Street. A B.S.N. is Introduced In 1985 Saint Luke’s Hospital School of Nursing faculty conducted an in-depth study of the issues and challenges facing nursing education in the 21st century. They concluded that nursing educators needed to offer a bachelor’s degree as national trends shifted away from diploma programs.
The Last Diploma In the fall of 1991, the first class of students was admitted into the newly designed baccalaureate program. In 1992, the last diploma program class graduated bringing the total number of diploma graduates to 3,047.
Partnership with Saint Luke's Health System Continues On August 29, 2010, the college was renamed Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences in conjunction with a change to a private, not-for-profit corporation status with Saint Luke’s Hospital as the single shareholder. The partnership between the Saint Luke's Health System and the College is critical to the continued success of the College.
All Saints Hospital was opened at 10th and Campbell Streets
Training school for nurses established
Saint Luke's Hospital was declared the legal successor of All Saints Hospital and the School of Nursing was established as a department within the Hospital. There were three students enrolled under the direction of Miss Eleanor Keely
Miss Virginia Pate was the first graduate of the diploma program
The School of Nursing relocated to a new hospital and a nurses' residence at the site, which was then Mill Creek and 44th Street
A four-story building was erected to accommodate classrooms, laboratories, library, offices, and residence space for approximately 200 students
The library was moved to the Helen F. Spencer Center for Education
The first class of students was admitted in the fall for baccalaureate nursing education at Saint Luke's College
The final class graduated from the diploma program culminating in 3,047 students having received their nursing diploma from Saint Luke's Hospital School of Nursing
The College received accreditation as a baccalaureate degree granting institution
College Board adopted a master plan to grow the institution five-fold and become financially independent from the Hospital by 2015 (both goals were met by 2013)
18 classes have completed coursework resulting in 867 graduates from the B.S.N. degree program
The College was renamed Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences in conjunction with a change to a private, not-for-profit, and corporation status
College was moved into a newly renovated building on Westport Road from their location on Ward Parkway
Accreditation was expanded to encompass master’s level programming. Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner and Nurse Educator tracks
Certificates in Adult-Gerontology Acute Care, Nurse Educator, and Nursing Informatics were added to the graduate programs. The M.S.N. added a third track in Nursing Informatics.